I haven't had my Dungeness crab cravings fulfilled for a while so I decided to hit up to the nearest seafood market to get some to make for dinner. Always make sure you pick crabs that are fresh and super alive by making sure when they select one it's actively moving and trying to free itself. Never pick one that is barely moving. Also make sure that all the legs and claws are in still intact, I've encountered many times where after a closer inspection I noticed either a leg or the claw was missing!!I personally have tasted Dungeness crab(s) served hot and cold and I think the sweetness of the crab is enhanced when it's served chill but it's up to you on your preference.
Seafood rub or Salt will work just fine
Rice Wine vinegar (Optional)
1) Fill your pot with water enough so that when you insert the crab, it's fully submerged.
2) Add Seafood rub or Salt to the water and bring to a boil
3) Add the Crab(s) into the boiled water and lower the heat to Medium-Medium low
4) Set timer to ~7-8 min/lb (If you have multiple crabs in the pot, just base it on the average weight of each crab, NOT the combined weight!)
5) After the time has elapsed, immediately take the crab(s) and dump it into Ice Cold water or pour Cold water over it for it to chill.
6) Optional but for best flavor, would suggest once the crab has reached back to room temperature or lower, put it in the refrigerator for couple hours to fully chill before consuming.
When I was in Osaka, Japan recently I went to a famous renowned place for Snow crabs and they serve it with Rice Wine vinegar as it enhances the sweetness of the crab. It's not mandatory but it's worth a try.
How do I eat it??
Good question! Flip over the crab such that it's upside down. Observe a triangular flap/tail at the bottom and lift it up and remove. Notice a little hole is now visible, simply just use both of your hands to spread it open (refer to the pictures below) and voila!
|Seafood Rub or Salt is just fine|
|In you go!|
|Boil at medium/medium-low heat at ~7-8min/lb|
|Immediately rinse crab to cool down and refrigerate for couple hours.|
|Observe the triangular flap/tail|
|Lift it up!|
|To open! Before!|
|To open! After!|
|Remove these things as it's not edible!|