Translate

Monday, November 17, 2014

I've Gotcha some Matcha! -- Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream

So as Winter approaches, I become ironically more and more fond of ice cream.  This time, I decided to make Matcha Green Tea ice cream.  This flavor is a classic Asian ice cream flavor, but sadly it is not so common here in America.  Luckily for me, I happened to have some milk, cream, sugar, eggs, and powdered green tea sitting around... and an ice cream maker at my disposal.

Ingredients:

- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs matcha green tea powder

Directions:
  • In a bowl, whisk the 4 egg yolks thorough, then mix together with 1/2 cup whole milk and 3/4 cup sugar. 
  • Heat the mixture in a double-boiler and stir frequently to avoid clumps.  Cook over medium heat until you achieve a custard-like consistency. (I actually used too much milk, and it took too long for my mixture to thicken so I ditched the double boiler and heated the mixture directly in the pot while stirring VERY vigorously.)
  • Remove the custard from the heat.  Mix in the remainder of the whole milk. Add in the green tea powder.
  • Allow the custard to chill in the refrigerator overnight
  • Don't forget to freeze your ice cream maker bowl as well!
  • The next day, take your custard mixture and mix in the heavy cream.
  • Put the entire mixture into your ice cream maker, and allow to churn until you achieve a soft-serve ice cream consistency.
  • Place ice cream in a freezer-friendly container and freeze for several hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment