Translate

Friday, January 16, 2015

Crabcakes Galore

I love crabcakes, even though I have a questionable food allergy to crabs.  Don't worry, I only get hives, and I've never had an anaphylactic reaction.  Despite my love for crabcakes, there are far too many restaurants out their that just CAN'T get it right!  Some places over-season the cakes, blocking out the beautiful subtle sweetness of the crab, and some places use far too much breading as a filler to minimize the cost of making crabcakes.


Here's my guide to making the ideal crabcake, especially if you like to appreciate simple flavors, minimal breading/filler, and excellent natural crab flavors that are nicely complemented by a few simple ingredients.

Ingredients:


- 16 oz lump crab (they have it at Costco!)
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp mustard (I like honey mustard, some may prefer Dijon mustard)
- 1/4 cup mayo (I use Kewpie/Japanese mayo)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper (season to desired effect)
- Sriracha (optional)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs

Instructions:
  • Drain the crab!
  • Beat your egg, then add in all of your wet ingredients in no particular order.
  • Gently mix in your lump crab into the wet ingredients.
  • Add in about 1/4 cup of your panko bread crumbs and add celery and gently mix in.
  • In a gentle hand-cupping motion, create lump crab balls.  
  • Put the remainder of your panko in a bowl, and roll your crab balls in the panko to create a nice panko crumb crust.
  • Allow your crabcakes to set for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the fridge.
  • Preheat your oven to 390F
  • Bake for 25 minutes or until top layer of Panko crumbs are a nice, golden brown.
  • Serve alone or with a side of sauce of your choice (I recommend having some Sriracha mayo on the side for an extra kick).

Let me know how it goes! Thanks again everyone for +1 and sharing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment