Translate

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

FRY me some Crispy Chicken!

I was defrosting a pack of chicken drumsticks, getting ready to make my usual soy sauce chicken, when I thought to myself, "hey, why not change things up a bit tonight?"  I dug around my pantry and found some leftover Panko bread crumbs from my crab cake recipe... and ding ding ding! WE'RE HAVING FRIIIIIIED CHICKEN TONIGHT!



Ingredients:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups panko
- no-salt seasoning (contains onion, garlic, carrot, thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc)
- salt
- pepper
- chicken thighs or large drumsticks
- lots of oil
- wok or some kind of pan to fry your chicken in

1) Prepare your dipping stations: one plate of flour, one bowl of eggs (beat thoroughly), and one plate of panko with seasoning.  I didn't measure how much seasoning I used... use your own judgement :)


2) Debone your chicken thigh or drumstick (I used a very large drumstick here) such that you get a nice steak of out it.  Proceed to pound it down with a mallet to achieve even thickness.  This allows for even cooking and for less shrinking in the fryer.  Pat the chicken very dry, and season with salt and pepper.



3) Now it's time to bread the chicken!  Have a designated "wet" hand and a designated "dry" hand to avoid getting gross and clumpy all around your fingers.  First, dip into the flour for a light event layer on both sides of the chicken, then dunk into the egg wash and shake off excess egg.  REPEAT the flour and egg step for extra crunchiness.  Finally, coat with a layer of seasoned panko.




4) Now to fry, heat your oil up to 350F in a pan or in a wok.  Gently lay the chicken down into the oil and fry each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.




5) As with all fried foods, don't forget to rest the chicken on oil-absorbing paper (I just used paper towel on top of a roasting rack) to avoid having oily, soggy crusts.

**~ ENJOY! ~**




No comments:

Post a Comment